Getting up and close with Raspberry Pi 3
The Raspberry Pi 3 is the third-generation Model B. It shares the same design as its predecessor Raspberry Pi 2. Its is different in terms of processor, it’s, speed and few more things. In this I will discuss all the additional features Raspberry Pi 3 has:
- Faster and better CPU: The Raspberry pi 3 is new BCM2837 System On Chip (SOC). This system contains a custom hardened 1.2 GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU. This is 50-60% faster than the Raspberry Pi 2 and 100 times faster than the first model of Raspberry Pi.
- Onboard Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 : The Raspberry Pi 3 board has a built in BCM43438 wireless combo chip, this gives the Pi 3 a built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1. This is a cool feature, now you don’t need to purchase wifi dongle and makes it much easier to create Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
- SD card slot: the SD card slot no longer provides the push -to eject feature.. you need to pull the card to remove the SD card. This is same as Raspberry Pi or Raspberry Pi Zero.
- Raspbian OS : the default NOOBS OS is Raspbian and comes with installed Python, Scratch, Sonic Pi, Java and Mathematica.
- 40 GPIO (General Purpose Input Output) : Raspberry Pi 3 board has 40 GPIO pins and that has not changed from Raspberry Pi 2, this has been kept same because it would be confusing to have a new GPIO layout and popular attachments like HATs ( Hardware Attached on Top) wouldn’t work.
The above are some of the major difference in the new Raspberry Pi 3. Hope you like this article, please put your comments and feedback.